Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Doppler Effect

Skye and I are learning about physics together. In particular, we are learning about sound waves. I don't understand nearly as much as I should, and I think that I have a fundamental misconception about sound waves that I need to work out. She and I already worked out that we had a misconception about The Doppler Effect. Namely, we both thought that that Doppler Effect involved an infinite number of different frequencies (kind of like a crescendo and decrescendo, only with frequencies instead of loudness). In reality, it only involves three: the frequency of the sound from the reference frame of the "moving" object, the frequency from the reference frame of a "stationary" observer while the "moving" object approaches, and the frequency as the "moving" object moves away from the "stationary" observer. I think that this is right.

Skye's sister and brother-in-law were visiting this weekend, so we did the tourist thing. It is really cool to live in a town with so much history. It is also cool to live in a town where most of the town used to be water. I feel so...Dutch.

"He was the original minute man."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home