Tuesday, May 05, 2009

I went to pick up my cap and gown today, and I have a story about it. A little background, first: I work as a professor at two schools: one is all male (College A), and one is all female (College B).

So I go up to the desk and ask for my cap and gown. Since my office is on the College B campus, I had to go to the College B bookstore. I asked the woman behind the desk for the cap and gown. She asked me, "Are you graduating from College A or College B?"

Now, initially, you might interpret this as a compliment. I have not yet gotten so old and wrinkled that I look completely different from a student - she basically shaved ten years off of my age. I like that.

But if you think about this for a second, something else is going on. Recall that College A is all male, and College B is all female. So while I look like I am 22, I might look like a woman. I guess that I need to extend my five day beard growth to ten to remove ambiguity.

1 Comments:

At 12:17 PM, Blogger Skye Xyan said...

This made me laugh and I am still smiling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home