Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I heard a story on This American Life about a high school football coach who convinced half of his parents to cheer for the opposing team one game. The opposing consisted of kids who were in trouble with the law. People generally seem to think that this coach did something noble, and I tend to agree. This got me thinking about Alfie Kohn's thoughts about competition. Basically, Kohn doesn't like it. Maybe we all don't like it, too, if we think that this coach was doing something noble. People like it when you help out the opposing team, such as by carrying an injured player around for her home run trot.

Also, Kohn points out the following: if a person were described as "competitive," would that make you to be their friend more or less? Most people I have spoken to said "less." Further evidence that Kohn is onto something.

Still, as a person who grew up with basketball, I am having a tough time coming to terms that competition might not be the best thing. There are obviously degrees of competition, and I am trying to sort out if my level of competitiveness (play basketball every other day, don't really care if I win...much) is healthy. Perhaps "none" is the only healthy level, and perhaps some is okay. I am not sure. I'll have to re-read Kohn's book.

2 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

If there was no competition, would there even have been a football game? Does Kohn have a clear definition of "competition"?

For example, would you say that Shane Battier is competitive - in the same way Kobe is?
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/magazine/15Battier-t.html

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Dirk Awesome said...

If there weren't competition, there wouldn't have been a football game. He argues against these competitive activities.

I'm paraphrasing here, but Kohn roughly defines competition as "an event where, in order for one person to succeed, another must fail."

Aaron - you were a witness to Kohn's influence on my life when we played that cooperative board game in Cambridge.

I don't think that Battier is competitive like Kobe, but he is still competitive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home