Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I went to see Paula Poundstone last night with Tsjaz. It was a great night. First, Paula: about half of her act was pretty clearly scripted, the way a comedian normally goes about her business. This was decent. The other half was clearly material that was being thought up right then and there. This is why Paula is a genius. She is ridiculously quick on her feet, and this makes her hilarious. Several times, she asked a person in the crowd, "And what do you do?" The person's answer led to 5 minutes of material about the job/location/whatever information the person gave (the lute maker gave her closer to 15 minutes worth of material, unsurprisingly).

My only complaint about the performance is that our seats were screwed up. We were supposed to be sitting a lot closer than we were. It's fine, though.

Also performing at the same venue (but different stage) at the same time was Rockie Lynne. Paula's and Rockie's fans mingled together in the common area before the show and during intermission. Now, in case you are ever in the situation where Paula Poundstone is performing at the same time and location as Rockie Lynee and the crowds are mingling, you can tell Paul's fans from Rockie's fans by the following simple rule: Paula's fans were big, plastic glasses and Rockie's fans all wore some sort of "We Support Our Troops" indicator.

We then went home on the light rail. I loooooove trains, and this was the first time I had ridden Minneapolis's light rail. It was great, and helped support the night's theme of "I wish I lived in Minneapolis."

Finally, we walked to Tsjaz's house from the light rail station. It was such a beautiful night - it was comfortably cool. I loved it.

2 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I enjoyed reading your blog about the show at the Guthrie on Monday. I manage Paula and I think she is a genius and ridiculously quick on her feet too.
Nice blog (even without Paula mention :))
Bonnie Burns
paula@paulapoundstone.com

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Dirk Awesome said...

Thanks, Bonnie. Give my best to Paula, please.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home