Wednesday, February 07, 2007

So Skye completely busted me two posts ago. I estimated something as being 8%, which misleads people into thinking that I have more precision than I do. So, while there is no intrinsic difference between saying "8% is my estimate" and "10% is my estimate" (aside from the obvious quantitative difference) other than the fact that 10 is more familiar beecause we use a base 10 number system, it implies a different level of confidence.

I am not very happy with that last sentence. I am still not going to take the time to change it, though.

I got my life organized yesterday. My office is clean, I am completely caught up on my work email (though not my personal email - not by a long shot), and my to-do list has been cleaned out of any items that have been lingering too long. It feels good.

Finally, I casually mentioned in class on Monday that I first took calculus in 1962. One of the students felt that he needed to make sure that I wasn't serious. So he doubted that I was in my sixties, but he wasn't exactly sure.

1 Comments:

At 9:24 PM, Blogger cg said...

It looks like your student was approximately--by my estimation--30 persixty off. Whould that be 4 pereights? I still don't like decimals--after all music isn't written it 10/100 time; or is that why French music sounds so good?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home