Monday, February 05, 2007

Today is the first day of classes, and so I am a new man. I am hoping to run everyday before class, and update this weblog every day before class. I got one out of two done before class, and I am taking care of the other one right now.

I saw An Inconvenient Truth on Friday, which was good. My main complaint was that there was a list of things one can do to help curve global warming at the end of the film. They did not include "Eat less meat, and eat more locally grown vegetables." This seems to be a huge one, since meat is only about 8% efficient in turning sunlight into food we can eat, whereas fruits, vegetables, grains, and beans are about 90% efficient (these are very rough estimates). It takes more energy to transport and prepare meat than vegetables, so there are more carbon emissions involved in that, too.

Gore's website does mention eating less meat, but it only references the methane that cows produce. There are many, many more environmentally sound reasons to eat less meat than that.

I wanted the Bears to win, but I am happy for Tony Dungy. He is a good guy, and also a Gopher.

1 Comments:

At 5:03 PM, Blogger Skye Xyan said...

I'm impressed that you can make estimates like "eight." :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home