Thursday, January 18, 2007

A lot has happened in the past month, although I am not going to write about it now. You see, I was supposed to have put in a good half day of work on my textbook yesterday, and a full day today. The day is halfway done, and I haven't been able to start working (this weblog isn't helping, but I am only going to write for 5 minutes or so before I leave to write the text). I'll dole out stories from the past month over the next week or so...or maybe I'll just let it go.

To paraphrase Jon Stewart: John McCain has stayed true to his values...which are that he really wants to be president. For every good idea he has, he seems to cave on one good idea. There was a time when he impressed me, but now: not so much.

I just got out of a meeting about the possibility of me teaching a course on discrete math next year. That would be great, because it would cover ideas like group theory and probability. Since my dissertation was on probabilistic group theory, this is interesting to me.

Skye and I are working out way through Six Feet Under, which is good. I am personally working my way through The West Wing, which is fantastic. I am done with season three, and I will stop after season 4 (when Sorkin leaves the show). Then I will probably move on to season 3 of Arrested Development, and then The Wire.

I have also almost caught up on my podcasts from the past month. This means that I might get a subscription to To the Best of Our Knowledge, which is often ridiculously interesting.

I should also mention that Skye and I went to a Spanish-speaking dinner. This was just a dinner at a bar for a bunch of people who want to speak Spanish. Since I haven't spoken Spanish seriously in 9 years (nor un-seriously in 3), I wasn't able to contribute a lot to the conversation. I was happy, though, that I could understand most everything that was said. I was never good at that when I was studying it in high school.

Gotta write right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home