Monday, April 20, 2009

Skye and I planted a couple of trees yesterday. We now have a Black Hills Spruce and a Bali cherry tree in our yard.

We have a lot of yard, and I am trying to come up with ways of getting rid of some of the grass. I Googled around for ideas, and came across this article, entitled Lawns do a World of Good. Seriously, what a crappy article. First, the content is provided by Scotts Miracle-Gro. I now appreciate that Scotts thinks that lawns do a world of good - I wouldn't have guess it. I'm also a little surprised that Scotts would recommend to "1. Feed regularly with products made for lawns." Again, I didn't know how they felt on the "products made for lawns issue."

Apart from the self-serving nature of this article, it still sucks (I will never watch WKLY again, since they posted it). They argue "your well-cared for lawn removes and stores twice the amount of carbon from the air in a year than a tree can in 10." This is useful information if you were planning on tearing up your entire lawn and replacing it with one single tree. I was actually considering that - having a lawn full of dirt, only with a cherry tree sitting in the middle of it. They can't come up with a reasonable comparison in their favor? Something like "a lawn removes more carbon dioxide than the equivalent in native flowers?"

Oh, also: "Did you know that summertime air temperatures above lawns can be up to 30 degrees cooler than above paved areas?" So if you were planning on ripping out your lawn and paving your entire yard, just be prepared to deal with the heat. I'm just sayin'.

Mano posted to a great interview from The Daily Show. I think that Elizabeth Warren should become Secretary of the Treasury.

1 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Blogger Tsjaz said...

In my dream, I met Elizabeth Warren and told her what a good job she did on TDS. Sadly, it was only a dream.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home