Saturday, January 09, 2010

I fell in love with a song last night. This rarely happens, but I love it when it does. What normally happens in this situation is that I will listen to an album several times without necessarily paying attention to the songs. Eventually, I will listen to the album again, not pay attention, but a song will jump out and punch me in the neck (in a good way).

The first time I remember this happening was in graduate school when I suddenly heard "Ellen West" by Throwing Muses with new ears. It was after midnight, and I listened to the song repeatedly for at least an hour.

The second times was when I was driving to visit my parents from graduate school. "Flood" by Throwing Muses clicked for me tnen, and I listened to the song for most of the ride home.

The third time was when I was a post-doc. I was in the library listening to my iPod Shuffle, and "The Con" by Tegan and Sara attached itself to my brain.

Last night? "The Ocean" by Tegan and Sara. I was working on my class for next semester, again after midnight, and I had to listen to the song repeatedly.

It seems as if Tegan and Sara and Throwing Muses are the only bands that do this to me. I had a similar experience at the album level with Antics by Interpol, but that is a different thing. I still really like all of the songs, but not as much as I liked them at those moments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home