Saturday, June 24, 2006

Back to the 617

While my trip to Minnesota has been great, I'm looking forward to heading back to Boston tonight. Skye is going to pick me up at the airport, and it will be really nice to see her.

I've meant to write about this for some time, and maybe I already have. Regardless, I'm going to write about it now: working at an airport has to be the most frustrating job around. The people at the metal detectors have to tell hundreds of people that the keys in their pocket could set off the metal detector, and so people should remove them before going through. They do this because hundreds of people don't think about this.

The parking people have to tell hundreds of people every day that they need to keep moving. Even though signs are clearly posted, people think that they are the exception to the rule that you cannot park arrivals. Of course, I think that I am an exception, too, but this is a conversation from the employees' point of view.

Can you imagine having to tell hundreds of people that keys are metallic all day, every day? I don't know how they do it.

I think this is related to why teachers sometimes get so bitter: they spend 30 years explaining the same thing year after year, and the students have a tough time learning it each year. The mind doesn't realize that these are new students - it just remembers that you have explained the concept 29 times before.

I hope that last paragraph doesn't seem more scientific than it actually is (i.e. "Not at all.").

I love the World Cup. I enjoy watching the games, I enjoy learning about the players, and I enjoy participating in something that a billion people are interesting in. Here is what I do not like about it, though: soccer players are whiny little punks. Every time they get kicked/hit/touched, they fall down into a heap like they just had a kidney ripped from their back. You just don't see this in other sports. A baseball player gets hit by a 98 mph fastball, and they grimace and skip down the first base line. A football player gets crunched between two 300 pound linemen, and he stays down for ten seconds before getting up. A soccer player gets bumped into from behind, and he writhes on the ground for a full minute before getting up and playing like nothing happened. Little, whiny punks.

The worst part? I think that I am the same way when I play sports. This frustrates me.



"There was nothing between Hans and me."
"Apparently on more than one occasion."

1 Comments:

At 7:48 PM, Blogger Skye Xyan said...

Who the hell is that scary dude?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home