Thursday, June 22, 2006

Soccer and Email

I am in the midst of a pleasant little email exchange.

Yesterday was total family day, and I enjoyed it. I saw all three grandparents, two of the three uncles who live in near the Twin Cities, and the nuclear family. The only near-by family members I didn't see were an uncle and two cousins. The uncle and one of the cousins aren't all that (figuratively) close to me, although I see the other cousin quite a bit. Maybe I should say that I interact with the other cousin quite a bit, since I actually see her about as often as the other cousin.

The family ate at Galactic Pizza, which is vegan- and environmentally-friendly. Their pizza delivery people dress like superheros, and one delivery person recently helped fight crime. I love this story, and I would have loved to have been the thief for the brief, surreal moment when he realized: "I'm actually being chased by a superhero."

My dad stole that last idea from me last night without giving me credit. I don't think it is that original of an idea, but still.

Fact: The U.S. soccer team got hosed on the penalty kick at the end of the first half again Ghana.

Fact: It didn't matter, because the U.S. soccer team isn't very good.

If you take away all of the bad calls that cost the U.S. team, I still don't think that they advance. Even if they beat Italy and tied Ghana, I think that they still would have finished third in the group because of goal differential. Italy would have five points, the U.S. and Ghana would each have four points, and the Czech Republic would have had three points; it is doubtful that the U.S. would have defeated Italy by more than three goals.

I'm looking forward to watching Brazil. I have nothing else to add to this "paragraph."

"Once is an accident, twice is a trend, and three times is a...? Conspiracy theory?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home