Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Old 97s

I'm back from Austin, which was a whole lot of fun. The conference was good (much, MUCH better than last year, when people were more concerned about honoring the people rather than talking about education), I hung out with good people, and I went to a concert (more on that below). The only drawback was that I did not make time to see the bat bridge, which sounds really cool.

The concert I saw was the Old 97s. Rhett Miller is one of the best frontmen in the business. He has a ton of energy, and looks better rocking out on an acoustic guitar than anyone since...anyone. I've been listening to them on my iPod more now, and I really like a lot of their stuff.

Like Chad, I have been quiet about Imus and the VT shootings. This is because I don't have a lot to say about either. I don't quite see why people are making such a big deal about this particular thing that Imus said, although I have no problem with them firing him for saying it. It just seems like worse things have been said with little or no penalty. Al Franken made a good point that Glen Beck should really be fired for a lot of what he says.

So I didn't get bent out of shape about Imus (perhaps because I have been de-sensitized, and it wasn't about me), but I think that firing him is completely appropriate.

As far as the Virginia Tech shootings, it was clearly horrible and I offer my condolences to everyone involved. Also, people like Nathaniel Blake should be fired for suggesting that the victims should be ashamed of themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home