Thursday, November 08, 2007

Police

So I've been watching The Wire. It is a really good show, although I am not yet to the point where I am ready to declare it among the best shows on television. It did, however, keep me up until 5 am one morning by handing me a parade of cliff-hangers.

That next day, I saw a city bus that, rather than indicating the route number and street names on its banner, said "Emergency - call police." It appeared as if no one was on the bus with the driver. So I called the police, and they asked for the bus number. I didn't have it. Lester Freamon would have gotten the bus number.

I need to re-do one of my courses, because I want to make sure that we can set everything up to get to the "punchline" at the end of the course. This means that I am going to spend the rest of the night working through all of the problems for the rest of the semester.

Here is my favorite excerpt from Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me this week. Peter Sagal asks Paula Poundstone a question, and Paula doesn't miss a beat on the genius response:

Peter: Paula, just a short while after instituting a new policy, the Taiwanese army has decided to end it. Under the new policy, servicemen were required to do what to new recruits?

Paula: Um...ah..I have absolutely no idea. Do you have a hint?

Peter: Think of it as the end of the last episode of the Mary Tyler Moore Show, except with guns.

Paula: Meow at them?

Paula Poundstone is one of the funniest people alive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home