Friday, January 16, 2009

Basketball

I've been trying to decide if I would continue to play basketball with some co-workers. The problem is that it requires 15 minutes of travel each way, and I am at the mercy of the bus. This leads to a 2 hour time commitment to play basketball, which is a significant portion of the day (although I would only do it every other day).

Well, I have decided to continue playing. When I was a kid, I spent a lot of time trying to become a great shooter. It never worked out due to some flawed mechanics in my shot (it is all about mechanics). Well, I figured out how to fix it in grad school, and the effects were remarkable - so much so that I gave a little thought to trying out for the school's basketball team (they are very good, but they also happened to play a style of basketball that fit what I could do). I didn't try out, and I eventually stopped playing basketball regularly once the demands of graduate school were too great. I lost the mechanics soon after.

However, in April or May, I rediscovered the lost mechanics after playing a lot of basketball. For a week and a half, I was again an excellent shooter. Then I sprained my ankle, got married, went on a honeymoon, moved across the country, broke my elbow, and started a new job. The good news is that I just rediscovered what I was doing before. I can even describe what I need to do:


  1. Get the ball up in to shooting position
  2. Look at the rim
  3. Launch the ball up high


That, along with all of the mechanics I was successfully able to capture when I was young, is enough to make a whole lot of shots. So I am going to keep playing, because it is really fun to do something that you worked for and are now good at (after 22 years).

Tonight is the beginning of the end of Battlestar Galactica! OMG! I will probably watch it tomorrow on hulu or scifi.com, as I do not have cable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home