Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Cats

Previously, on Uncooperative Crickets: Skye and I volunteered at the Humane Society for the first time yesterday. (Important background for the next sentence: I have always loved dogs, and I have been working on convincing Skye to allow us to get a dog; she has been resistant, and has been working on delaying getting a dog for as long as possible). Skye couldn't fall asleep last night because she fell in love with a dog there. We likely won't get her ("Ella"), but we are discussing it.

Skye and I volunteered for the second time at the Humane Society yesterday. Now she fell in love with a cat, and wants to take it home so much that we put a deposit on her. We'll see what happens. We are in an interesting situation - she is much more pro-"pet now" than I am, although I am traditionally more pet-friendly. The reasons for this on my end are two-fold:


  1. As much as I hate to admit it, I think that I might be mildly allergic to, at least some, cats. I am not sure that I want to spend my life with itchy eyes and sneezes. It kills me a bit to admit this.
  2. As much as I hate to admit it, I think that I am scared that the cat will scratch up our new furniture. I normally would care so much about the furniture, but we just spent a lot more money than I am really comfortable with on it (i.e. we didn't buy them at a garage sale).


This trade makes me sad. I always thought of the Hornets as a well-designed team: they have a great point guard (Paul), a great mid-range shooter (West), a great defensive center/rebounder who knows his limitations (Chandler), a defensive stopper (Posey), and a bunch of good outside shooters (Stojakovic, Peterson). It makes me sad that they are taking out a cog in a well-built machine.

Aside: for some reason, the Hornets do not know that Chris Paul is on their team.

Grading is done, and soon I can think about just writing the paper that I have been organizing for a week. Maybe I start tonight.

I forgot to mention yesterday: BSG was good and revealing, although not as suspenseful as the previous week. It was necessary, though, and I like knowing all the new information. I thought that Lost was okay. Dollhouse was decent and has potential.

2 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I vote that you get the cat. I have a vote, right?

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Dirk Awesome said...

Yes! Your vote put us over the top (see the 2/19 post).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home