Saturday, July 29, 2006

Happy birthday to Jenifer!

When I was teaching at a high school, one of the other teachers was telling me about his young daughter. He said that the amazing thing about her is how she learns. As an example, she was learning how to skip. She tried for a week, and couldn't do it - not even close. But she woke up one morning and was able to skip perfectly. It wasn't like she gradually got better, but it was more like she made a discrete jump.

I experienced this a lot back when I was playing a lot more guitar. I would practice and practice some riff, but I wouldn't be able to do it. Then I wouldn't play for a week, and I would be able to play that riff the next time I picked up a guitar. I find that we are amazing in how we learn.

I experienced this today again. I had been trying to learn a soccer move for the past month or so. I think that I had tried three times, but had never been able to figure out how to do it. I learned it by watching this video of Zidane (you can see him do it three times in a row at the 45 second mark). Anyway, I was able to suddenly do it today. I don't know what changed.

I learned it because I really wanted to play soccer. I found a website that advertised pickup soccer at a nearby park every Saturday at 5:00 pm. I got there, and there was only one little pickup game that had been going on for 45 minutes, so I don't think that they were the right people. I practiced by myself instead. I am guessing that the regular pickup people decided to stay home in the 90 degree heat. I'll try again tomorrow at 1:00.

And something that is just a little freaky to end.

"This is a moon without a tide."

2 Comments:

At 7:17 PM, Blogger cg said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger cg said...

Are you thinking of cutting your body in two for some fantastic soccer move?--Because that would be amazing, freaky, and just plain wrong. Although, then you could have a pick-up game of your own with your hands in goal and your legs on offense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home