Saturday, August 12, 2006

Throwing Muses

I just got back from the 50 Foot Wave/Throwing Muses concert. And they brought it.

The line up was actually 50 Foot Wave (Kristin Hersh, Bernard Georges, and Rob Ahlers), then Bullseye (a group of five boys who are literally middle schoolers), and Throwing Muses (Kristin Hersh, Bernard Georges, and David Narcizo). Georges might be my favorite bass player to watch, Ahlers and Narcizo are both great drummers to watch, and Hersh is just captivating.

This is the best concert that I have been to in a long, long time. It compares favorably to the GBV, Sleater-Kinney, and Sugar shows that have been my favorites. This makes sense, since these four bands are probably my favorite of all time.

Oh - I think that I was the youngest person at the concert. This hasn't happened since I had my fake ID.

Here is what I remember of the setlist. It is complete, but not necessarily in exactly the right order:


  1. "Hazing"
  2. "Soul Soldier"
  3. "Stand"
  4. "Furious"
  5. "Shimmer"
  6. "Los Flamingos"
  7. ""Colder"
  8. "Shark"
  9. "Fear"
  10. "Mexican Woman"
  11. "Mercury"
  12. "Pretty or Not"
  13. "Bright Yellow Gun"
  14. "Hate My Way"
  15. "Speed and Sleep"
  16. "Vicky's Box"
  17. "Bea"
    Encore:
  18. "Pearl"
  19. "Mania"


A couple of last comments: the band was great, the crowd was great, and the person doing the sound was great. This is true of both 50 Foot Wave and Throwing Muses. Everything was mixed well, and the band nailed most everything. The only slight problem was the Kristin's voice was a little gravelly. This made some things sound worse, but it also made some other things sound great. She nailed all of the screams and high notes, too.

"Pearl" is one of the finest songs ever made. Kristin just nailed the solo. "Mania" is one of the more aptly named songs ever.

I'm done gushing for now.

"The t-shirts, that look black...are."

1 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, Blogger Skye Xyan said...

I'm glad you had so much fun! (And feeling a little jealous that I missed out, but also thinking the concert was probably much better without me in tow! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home