Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I voted. It felt great. The only drawback was that they didn't give me an "I Voted" sticker, like they do in the Midwest. Instead, my genius friend Matt bought some purple ink, and now my finger is stained purple.

I'm not quite as cynical as Tsjaz, or maybe I am cynical in a different way. I am not convinced that Republicans stole the election in 2000/2004 (although I am not convinced they didn't). I think that the American public just hadn't collectively realized that they were electing a bumbler in 2004 (remember that this was before Katrina and before the Iraq war got really, really, really bad). I have faith that people can change their minds, vote accordingly, and not have their decisions stolen from them. I am also completely prepared for that faith to be shattered into a million tiny pieces tonight, so I have my bases covered.

1 Comments:

At 4:16 PM, Blogger Tsjaz said...

I'm more cynical about the reaction to shenanigans than to the tampering itself. I think Americans are too comfortable, and wouldn't protest a clear violation of our democracy in sizable enough numbers to matter because of the way it would inconvenience their daily lives. If something on the order of Florida 2000 happened again, everyone working jobs where people don't die if they don't show up needs to skip work and protest. I don't think the vast majority of people in this country think that we're awfully close to totalitarianism here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home