Friday, April 20, 2007

Bush, Goodling, Robertson?

Did I mention that I just had a seven week stretch where I gave six different lectures to my colleagues? I think that that is rather impressive.

I just got caught up with all of my busywork (e.g. grading, preparing an exam, etc), and I am now looking forward to working on some research. That, and writing another chapter for the textbook.

Good for the Timberwolves for keeping their draft pick, although it seems like they were tanking pretty intentionally at the end. That isn't good.

I'm looking forward to the NBA playoffs, which have some tremendous first round match-ups. I am hoping to see some of the Suns-Lakers game on Sunday.

I am also really enjoying keeping up with the Twins. My favorite player right now is Michael Cuddyer. I am also looking forward to wearing my new Johan Santana shirt soon.

Bill Maher's closing rant to his show last week was absolutely fantastic. It was about Monica Goodling who ended up as the third-in-command President Bush's Department of Justice before she resigned last week over the US Attorney scandal that has been in the news.

Now, there are only 93 US Attorneys. That means that this is a more exclusive club than the US Senate. Goodling was in charge of overseeing the job performance of these 93 attorneys. She is 33 years old, and has never been a prosecutor. On the plus side, she got her BA from Messiah College, and her law degree from Regent University.

In fact, there are 150 graduates of Regent Law School work in the Bush administration. This might seem odd, since this law school is a Tier IV law school, as rated by US News and World Reports. Tier IV is the lowest possible ranking.

Why are so many people from this low profile law school ending up with so much power in the Bush administration? Because Pat Robertson is the chancellor. Pat Robertson is best known for his religious television show The 700 Club, but I feel that it would be a disservice to the man if I did not mention that he was once a faith healer and currently claims to be able to leg press 2700 pounds. I believe this, though, because he was drinking an "Age-Defying energy shake" that he sold to the public.

With his proteges running the country, it is amazing that Iraq (and Katrina, and Guantanamo, and Abu Ghraib, etc. isn't going more smoothly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home