Friday, December 07, 2007

Happy Basketball Christmas!

Happy birthday to Larry Joe Bird!

I have two things of note today: first, Bill Simmons said that he really likes the Vikings this season. This makes me very happy. I said that they were bad previously (and they were), but it looks like they have come around.

Second, I have been wondering for a while why there is an idea that students give teachers apples. I probably saw this on a Charlie Brown cartoon, but the idea stuck in my head. This is a common idea that is around. My bank is the Teacher Federal Credit Union, and its logo features an apple. However, I have never actually seen, nor even heard of, an actual student giving an actual apple to an actual teacher. I thought that it was a completely outdated idea, so much so that I discussed this with one of my classes. So I thought that this idea should old, and the association of students/teachers/apples should fade away.

Until today. A student brought me an apple! And she wasn't a student from the class with which I discussed this idea - she has never heard me discuss this before! This is exciting.

One final thing: I watched two more episodes of Oz, and I now have a great ability to watch it. I think that I will watch the next DVD to see what happens.

2 Comments:

At 6:30 PM, Blogger Tsjaz said...

I had a student give me an apple two weeks ago, which is probably the first time any student has ever given me an apple. He made a comment about how he was "traditional" or something like that when he gave it to me. Anyway, i was hungry, so I started eating it, but i don't eat soft apples, only crisp ones, and so I set it down on my desk. I forgot about it and over the weekend the mice which inhabit our school went crazy on it. It took me 15 minutes to clean up my desk. Lesson: Never trust a monkey.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Skye Xyan said...

I had a student a few years back who gave me a series of apples. Each apple was absolutely perfect and he switched up the type of apple each time. I would walk into class and the apple would be waiting on my desk.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home