Monday, March 23, 2009

NCAA Rounds 1 and 2

BSG! BSG! I watched the end of Battlestar Galactica this weekend. She was quite a series. Now, I think that it is extremely difficult to end a series well. The first time I watched Buffy, I thought the end of season 5 was a brilliant ending to the series (less so the second time); the end of season 7 was decent. I liked the end of Sports Night the first time I watched it. That might be about it. Basically, I am pretty forgiving.

I think that BSG needed a little forgiving, but not a ton. Spoilers below.

I have a horrible first round of the tournament, going 20/32. That's pretty bad. However, I got back on track in round 2, going 13/16 (two of my misses were a result of poor choices in the first round - I didn't pick either of the teams playing the game). To compare, President Obama went 18/32, but then 14/16 in the second round. We both had picked Florida State and Wake Forest winning, and I additionally had picked Marquette. Fortunately, all of my Great Eight teams are still alive (like Bill Simmons, I am going to try to revive the name "Great Eight" over the "Elite Eight").

More EV news: the $50 charger I bought for the new battery is not powerful enough to charge the battery overnight. This means that the car works great at the beginning of the week, so-so in the middle, and it drags home on Friday. I will be ordering a more power (and more expensive) charger today, and then I hope to be done with EV stuff for a while.

I am going to another college to speak tomorrow, so today is pretty much dedicated to preparing the presentation and the Humane Society.






BSG SPOILERS! BSG SPOILERS! BSG SPOILERS! BSG SPOILERS! BSG SPOILERS! BSG SPOILERS! BSG SPOILERS!

Basically, I think that they ended too much on the side of religion at the end of the series. I wish that they would have left it a little more open, although I don't know how they could have done that. I also wasn't crazy about the ending with the robots. I was not so much interpreting the last scene literally (I don't think that the main point of the series is "Be nice to robots, or else"), but many of the robots were a little cheesy. Perhaps they were taken from real-life ads, but still.

Speaking of endings, I would have liked it if they had basically ended the show when Cavil and Adama made the deal. Ending on "'Why should I trust you?' 'It's a leap of faith.'" would have been interesting. We would have had to wonder if Cavil was good for his word, and if there would be lasting peace. This seems pretty much like real life. Of course, we would have had to engineer the rest of the finale to answer questions about Kara Thrace and Earth, and that may have been tough.

PS: I liked Kara Thrace entering "All Along the Watchtower" into the FTL drive, but wasn't crazy about her disappearance. I didn't hate the latter, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home