Monday, November 13, 2006

Here's the thing about The West Wing: it's about very intelligent people who genuinely care about things that don't directly affect their lives. Isn't that a great idea? I haven't seen a lot of shows like that. Scrubs, to some degree. However, Scrubs requires two extreme characters to drive the point home: JD, who is sensitive beyond belief, and Dr. Cox, who is such a huge jerk that his kindness looks extreme in the contrast. The West Wing has, in some sense, less cartoony characters. I haven't seen many other shows like that, although I think that MASH might be one. I suppose that ER might be one, too, although I kind of think that the plot mainly revolves around people trying to deal with their own lives.

I want to see more people trying to take care of each other. Heck, I might even try taking care of other people more often.

Of course, then you get into shows like Seinfeld, The Simpsons, and Arrested Development, and you see that it can be fun to laugh at people who are too self-absorbed. It is sometimes fun to poke fun at them.

Bad commercial of the day: a little girl, after hearing that 1 human year = 7 dog years, tells her mom that the mom is 230 years old. Then the mom informs an older woman, presumably the grandmother, that she is pushing 500. Now, this third-grader is remarkably good at fractions, since 230 isn't divisible by 7. Also, the mother is about 33 years old, while the grandmother is 71 years old. She didn't look 71...maybe 51.

I understand that there is a need for a "clean" number for comedy, but I don't want to deal with these things that lead to innumeracy. It's kind of like the Massachusetts State lottery advertising that is pays out $300 million per month (or whatever). It's a meaningless number, since it says nothing aobut how likely you are to win. And this is state sponsored.

I'm done.

2 Comments:

At 7:25 AM, Blogger Skye Xyan said...

Using "clean" numbers is an important skill - a lot of people find estimation disconcerting - and I find THAT disconcerting. I estimate all the time, and am often corrected by people and I think this is silly. Also, I know some kids have a hard time with the questions in their elementary school textbooks that ask them to estimate what the answer should be and THEN calculate it.

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger cg said...

Many of my students prefer decimal approximations to radicals or pi. I can't understand how they see these decimals as cleaner. I am starting to wonder about this "decimal" system. What was that Dewey guy thinking anyway?

A funny story--one of my top trig students is from Spain and he couldn't solve an application problem because he couldn't convert inches to feet.

Maybe these "decimals" will go down as the Edsel of counting systems. If we only used nine numbers, the numbers should be smaller and easier to remember--true, but this one goes to eleven.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home