Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I'm a little frustrated about work right now. It seems like every idea that I recommend is viewed as being half-baked. This is frustrating because either:


  • My boss (and some co-workers) are inflexible and do not make any attempt to understand the validity of my ideas, or
  • My ideas are half-baked.


At this point, I'm not sure which it is. I'm leaning toward the latter, although there is evidence that I am not the only one to whom this happens.

Actually, the biggest problem is probably that I simplify everything way too much. We are supposed to do things so that the students like the course better, and I just take it a tiny step too far. I might just be having a tough time balancing "making the students happy" and "not selling out."

On the other hand, I made some good points. I was asked how I was going to evaluate the success of a program, and I suggested a way to create a control group. I was met with a blank stare. Then I was told that my idea wouldn't work because of a point that was not at all central to my idea; this point was the name of my program, although this might mean that I am just not effectively communicating my ideas.

On the other other hand, I don't think that I normally have a problem with people understanding what I am trying to tell them (you all can let me know if this is not the case).

Okay, I'm done with that for now. Things are fine, and I ultimately got some really good feedback on my program; this ultimately makes me happy.

I am rambling now, but allow me to summarize my conclusions from these rants (thanks for reading):


  • My boss probably isn't very flexible.
  • I need to think about my ideas more before I speak up in the meeting.
  • I need to rethink my purpose at this school. My goal, up until now, has been (vaguely) to make it so that my students learn as much relevant information as possible. It should probably be: create a program that will allow novice teachers to be successful.


The last point is probably the most important. However, I am reluctant to accept that. I'll work on that.

"Ask yourself, what do you think about us?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home